Steps to Claim your Car Insurance in India
Car insurance is a legal requirement in India and it protects you from financial losses in case of an accident, theft or fire involving your car. However, many car owners are not aware of how to claim their car insurance properly and end up facing delays, rejections or disputes with their insurers. In this blog post, we will explain the steps to claim your car insurance in India and some tips to make the process smoother and faster.
Step 1: Inform your insurer
The first step to claim your vehicle insurance is to inform your insurer as soon as possible after the incident. You can call their toll-free number, email them or use their mobile app to register your claim. You will need to provide some basic details such as your policy number, car registration number, date and time of the incident, location of the incident, nature and extent of damages, and contact details of any witnesses or third parties involved.
Step 2: File an FIR
The next step is to file a First Information Report (FIR) with the nearest police station. This is mandatory in case of theft, road accidents involving injuries or deaths, or fire. You should get a copy of the FIR and keep it as evidence for your claim. You may not need an FIR if the incident is minor and does not involve any third party.
Step 3: Take pictures
It is advisable to take pictures of the damaged car and the scene of the incident from different angles. This will help you document the damages and prove your claim. You should also note down the names and contact details of any witnesses or third parties involved. If possible, you should also get a written statement from them about what happened.
Step 4: Submit required documents
After registering your claim, you will need to submit some documents to your insurer for verification and assessment. These may include:
– A duly filled and signed claim form
– A copy of your driving license
– A copy of your car registration certificate (RC)
– A copy of your car insurance policy
– A copy of the FIR (if applicable)
– An estimate of repairs from a network or authorized garage
– Original bills and receipts of repairs (if applicable)
– Any other documents as requested by your insurer
You can submit these documents online or offline depending on your insurer’s preference.
Step 5: Get your car repaired
Once your documents are verified and approved by your insurer, you can get your car repaired at a network or authorized garage. If you opt for a cashless claim settlement, your insurer will directly pay the repair costs to the garage after deducting any applicable deductibles or depreciation. If you opt for a reimbursement claim settlement, you will have to pay the repair costs yourself and then submit the original bills and receipts to your insurer for reimbursement.
Step 6: Receive your claim amount
After your car is repaired and all the documents are submitted, your insurer will process your claim and transfer the claim amount to your bank account or issue a cheque in your name. The time taken for this may vary depending on your insurer’s policies and procedures.
Tips to make your car insurance claim process easier.
Here are some tips to make your car insurance claim process easier and avoid any hassles or disputes:
- Read your policy document carefully and understand what is covered and what is not covered under your car insurance policy.
- Follow the terms and conditions of your policy and do not violate any rules or regulations that may affect your claim.
- Inform your insurer immediately after the incident and cooperate with them throughout the claim process.
- Do not admit fault or liability without consulting your insurer or lawyer.
- Do not make any out-of-court settlements or financial commitments without informing your insurer.
- Do not tamper with or dispose of any evidence related to the incident.
- Choose a network or authorized garage for repairs as they have tie-ups with your insurer and can expedite your claim settlement.
- Keep all the documents related to your claim safe and handy until you receive your claim amount.
- Check the status of your claim regularly and follow up with your insurer if there are any delays or issues.
Claiming car insurance in India can be a simple and hassle-free process if you follow the steps mentioned above and take some precautions. Car insurance is not only a legal requirement but also a financial safeguard for you and your car in case of any unforeseen events. Therefore, you should always buy adequate car insurance coverage for your car and renew it on time